Tom’s Tutorials For Excel: Using Data Validation to Disallow Entry of Item in a List
Here’s an example of using Data Validation to NOT allow a particular data item entry.
Suppose you want to insure that anything can be entered into a cell, EXCEPT for certain items you specify. In the pictured example, an entry of Jewelry, Car, Boat, or House would not be allowed.
The following steps show how this can be done.
Step 5 of 5
Still in the Data Validation dialog box:
• Click the Error Alert tab.
• Click to enter a checkmark in the box next to “Show error alert after invalid data is entered.”
• In the Style field, from the drop down list, select Stop.
• Enter the text for the Title of the error message you want to convey.
• Enter the text for the error message you want to convey.
• Click the OK button.