Tom’s Tutorials For Excel: Forcing Data Entry to Include a Specified Character
Data Validation is an excellent way to control data entry to meet a certain condition.
In this example, suppose you want to insure that a specific character is included in a text entry for a range of cells. In the next picture, you want to enter email addresses so you want to make sure the “
@” character is included. The following steps show how this can be done.
Still in the Data Validation dialog box:
• Click the Error Alert tab.
• Click to enter a checkmark in the box next to “Show error alert after invalid data is entered.”
• In the Style field, from the drop down list, select Stop.
• Enter the text for the Title of the error message you want to convey.
• Enter the text for the error message you want to convey.
• Click the OK button.